BLOG: 7 Great Activities for Seniors to Enjoy
7 Great Activities for Seniors to Enjoy
Sometimes getting a little older isn’t always easy. You may move a little slower, your diet may be more restricted, and you may have more medication to take, but there are so many ways to keep yourself feeling young and lively here in the new year.
It’s important to keep yourself sharp and active by trying new things and exercising both your body and mind. You can make this fun for yourself in the process.
Let’s look at 7 great activities perfect for Seniors to give a try and enjoy to maintain a youthful spirit and have some fun.
- Senior Center or Recreational Center Activities – Try out some fun programs available at your community Senior Center or Rec Center. They will have a wide range of activities for everyone to enjoy. Explore your options and take the leap. Connect with others and make some friends in the process, while you enjoy a variety of fun activities built just for seniors.
- Physical Activity – Get those muscles moving and enjoy some physical fitness activities that will keep you active and exercise your body, mind and soul. Depending on your part of the country, golfing can be a year round outdoor activity to enjoy. But, if you don’t have that luxury of good weather or just don’t golf, then how about swimming? Swimming or water activities are a great way to exercise and have fun while doing it. Swimming is one of the most physically, mental, and aerobically beneficial, low impact activities that anyone can enjoy.
- Travel – Sometimes just getting away is a fun way to fill the soul and feel good. Whether it is a major vacation to someplace far away or just a quaint day trip, travelling can be fun and therapeutic too. Travel with friends or family and just enjoy new places or revisit a familiar spot that you know you will enjoy.
- Reading/Join a Book Club – If you can’t travel, you can always get lost in a book and let your mind paint a picture of faraway places and amazing characters. Reading is a wonderful way to pass the time and enjoy your day. Take it a step further by joining a local book club and share your love for literature with other like-minded people. You might have a lot in common with some new-found friends in the process.
- Gardening – Green thumb or not, you can really “dig” into this hobby. Gardening is relaxing and productive at the same time. Watching something grow and nurturing it can be very therapeutic. It’s a great way to reduce stress and also involves physical activity by keeping you moving. Plus you can grow your own vegetables and enhance your diet in the process. Win-Win!
- Friendly Competition Playing Board Games – Chess, Scrabble, Monopoly or just basic card games can help you pass the time and keep your brain sharp using your logic, strategy and gaming skills. Thinking games can help you improve your memory and keep your cognitive skills active. Plus, it’s another opportunity to socialize with friends, family and peers in some friendly competition and conversation.
- Music, Music, Music! – Music is truly a muse for the mind and soul. Take advantage of music’s healing powers. Maybe pick up an instrument and learn how to play, or brush off your musical skills from years gone by if you played in the marching band in your youth. No musical skills? How about just listening to the radio, or breaking out some old vinyl records or even creating a playlist on a music service and let the music play. Music can take you on a stroll down memory lane and can be a relaxing way to shed some stress and feel good. Take it one step further and cut a rug. Take a dance class or just let those feet take over while you listen to your favorite tunes. You will be glad you did. Find a dance partner or go solo and enjoy!
Whatever you decide to do to get active, let your choice be something that makes you happy. Try new things or pick up some old favorite pastimes. It’s up to you! With so many different opportunities available to you in your city or community, you will be able to stay active this season, and staying active is a fantastic way for Seniors to enhance their health.
LifeCare Health Partners hopes you find your path to health and happiness. Our mission is to Accelerate Healing, Restore Health and Improve Life. « More News